Behavior Management Update

I am linking up with What the Teacher Wants! Behavior Management Linky Party.

I thought I would update you on how my new behavior management system is going. In the past, I used the "strike" system (see here). It was similar to What the Teacher Wants! system, but I wasn't smart enough to do the dollars for rewards! Last year I did do a weekly random reward system but it wasn't consistent.
After 10 years of the same behavior management system, I FINALLY made the switch and I am oh.so.glad I did! If you remember, I created this vertical behavior chart system.

It is similar to the "clip chart" system in which students can move up and down. I LOVE it! Here it is in my classroom.

I swear y'all...it works!!! I was seriously worried about my babies this year. I knew I had a "potential" bad behavior problem coming from preschool. This so works for him! He has made it to the top (PINK) 2 days in the last week! He wants so bad to work up the chart and I love it! He is the sweetest kiddo and I am so proud of him! The kiddos try so hard to clip up so they can earn a jewel. I clip up for random things like:
-being one of few sitting quietly on the carpet
-being one of few having their name on their paper
-sitting with a lonely friend at lunch
-cleaning up an area they didn't mess up
-working hard
-answering a hot question

I will be honest...I was skeptical. I just didn't think kids would change their behavior once they started going downhill, but they do! I was also a little scared of attempting daily behavior logs (also in my unit) with K kiddos! I am here to tell you that THEY CAN DO IT. We have been implementing them for 23 days and they do it completely independently now! They check their behavior, get the log out of the folder, color the correct apple, and place it back in their folder!

I will never go back to the other behavior system. If you are on the fence about a system like this, go for it! You won't regret it!

If you are looking for more great ideas for classroom management, just head over to What the Teacher Wants!!

3 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! I love that you added a whole packet to go along with the vertical behavior chart.

    Thanks so much for linking up with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased this packet from you this summer and I, too, LOVE it! I have very few behavior issues in my Kindergarten classroom because of it. When a child does get off task, they quickly correct their behavior so they can move their clip back up! I;'ve already talked with my principal about letting me give a little talk at our staff meeting about it--it's that good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about your new system I think am going to try it out this year with my students. So I am heading over to your site to purchase the system thanks again. Hoping you have a good year.

    ReplyDelete