Teacher Talk Tuesday

It is day 2 of Teacher Week at Blog Hoppin'. Today is the day for advice for new teachers. It has been 10 years since I was a new teacher, but I have helped many KTIP teachers and colleagues who have had a rough first year. Here is advice:
1. Communicate, communicate, communicate. I would recommend a weekly newsletter to let parents know everything that is going on. Parents get upset when they feel left out of the loop. I make sure I keep in contact with all parents. I want them on my side!
2. Be firm and consistent with classroom management. This is an area I had trouble with in the beginning. My first year I had 9..yes 9, kids. I had no classroom management. I didn't need it. The next year when I had 18 it was out of control. I explain classroom rules day 1 and I am very firm with these rules. Students know what to expect and how to behave.
3. Delegate - get help. Being the type A person that I was, my first year I DID EVERYTHING. I wouldn't even let parents run my copies because they might mess it up. Well, I learned quickly that I needed it. I have many parent volunteers who come weekly to assist with different areas in the classroom. Collaborate with colleagues and get their advise.
4. Reflect. Your first year will have many ups and downs. Try and write these things down so that you know what to do and what not to do the next year. You might think you will remember, but you won't!
5. Have fun. You will never have a first year again. Remember those kiddos - they will always hold special place in your heart.

1 comment:

  1. OMG...9 kids your first year?! That sounds amazing. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete